Review of the committee’s work in 2020
Following the fifth meeting of the Citizens’ Committee of RDP-PAT and Sanimax, we would like to share the results of the committee’s work in 2020.
The committee aims towards a more respectful relationship between the company and the surrounding community and is committed to a much more proactive, ongoing and transparent approach to communication with the community.
The committee’s contribution to the RDP-PAT community
Each member’s participation makes a real difference and gives concrete expression to the committee’s objective of transparency and collaboration. At the committee’s first meeting on July 9, Sanimax explained the technical issues that arose in May and June, and the company’s efforts to provide permanent solutions through its continuous improvement processes for its operations.
During the committee meeting on October 28, a representative of the City of Montreal’s Service de l’environnement and the Sanimax Montreal plant manager both highlighted a clear improvement in communication between the company and the Service de l’environnement regarding the processing and follow-up of odour reports.
These solutions were made possible through discussions and issues raised by committee members. It is important to highlight the transparency shown by the company, which shared various information on its operations and business processes. This openness is positive and shows the willingness to collaborate with all committee members.
The issues discussed are particularly important for the committee’s future work, which ultimately aims to ensure Sanimax’s respectful cohabitation with its community.
Overview of the committee’s work
There have been five virtual meetings since the committee was formed last June, with the following objectives:
- Update committee members on the technical operation of Sanimax facilities, including the operation of the mist park;
- Update committee members on the latest developments regarding the automation of certain critical plant assets, as well as the first phase of implementing artificial intelligence on odour abatement equipment;
- Answering committee members’ questions about Sanimax’s activities and the actions carried out and communicated since spring 2020;
- Provide an update on the installation of tarps on trailer trucks;
- Review the results of odour reports received by Sanimax and the City of Montreal, as well as discuss concrete actions taken by the company in response to identified odour events;
- Provide an update on the processing of odour reports, a process carried out in collaboration with the City of Montréal’s Service de l’environnement.
These meetings provided members with the knowledge they needed to fully understand Sanimax’s activities and to continue the committee’s work, with one meeting per month during the summer and one meeting every two months for the rest of the year.
During upcoming meetings, the Committee will examine the implementation of various processes and technological tools planned to further enhance the company’s performance in preparation for the summer of 2021.
Other relevant information
To contact the City of Montreal or Sanimax, here are their numbers:
- Service de l’Environnement de la Ville de Montréal: 514-280-4330 (choose the “Environment” option)
- Sanimax – Citizen Services: 514-648-1083
Citizen members of the Citizens’ Committee of RDP-PAT and Sanimax
Guylène BELLEY – East Sector
Bunna LIM – South Sector
Joëlle-Daphnée ORVIL – West Sector